[Cities: Skylines 2 - General] BepInEx

BepInEx

BepInEx is a universal Unity plugin framework which aims to provide a unified overlayed environment for different Unity games. It allows for runtime code modifications and has been widely used in modding various games.

1. Download the latest version that is compatible
  2. Extract the contents to the root directory of Cities Skylines 2.
  3. Run the game once to ensure that BepInEx initializes and creates its config folder.

This is not a standalone mod for Cities: Skylines II.
BepInEx is just a modding framework.

https://github.com/BepInEx/BepInEx

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Zaltocleotl said:

Where does it create its config folder? How else can I make sure it initialized?

It's located inside the BepInEx folder, after you startet the game once with it.
...\steamapps\common\Cities Skylines II\BepInEx\config

The best way is still to activate the BepInEx console so you can that BepInEx is loading when the console opens.

C:\Users\NAME\AppData\LocalLow\Colossal Order\Cities Skylines II\BepInEx

Have run game several times, no folder created in BepInEx folder other than ones already there - core, patches, plugins.

How do you activate console?

Where are the instructions telling users how to activate console? Was I directed around the instructions and missed them?

9 minutes ago, Zaltocleotl said:

C:\Users\NAME\AppData\LocalLow\Colossal Order\Cities Skylines II\BepInEx

Have run game several times, no folder created in BepInEx folder other than ones already there - core, patches, plugins.

How do you activate console?

Where are the instructions telling users how to activate console? Was I directed around the instructions and missed them?

Check out my guide on Steam:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3069519710

BepInEx must be in the main Cities: Skylines 2 directory like this:
...\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Cities Skylines II\BepInEx

Ah, thanks for the link to the Steam page.

I tried moving the BapInEx folder to the games library location at E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Cities Skylines II

Started Steam then C:S2 and still no folder inside E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Cities Skylines II\BepInEx except core, patches, plugins.

Of course still no config folder in C:\Users\NAME\AppData\LocalLow\Colossal Order\Cities Skylines II\BepInEx either.

I even removed the -developerMode argument and tried both ways without it. Even ran the game, made a change, saved it, then exited. Nothing. I even started the game by clicking the Cities2.exe in E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Cities Skylines II and nothing added to either BapInEx folder.

1 hour ago, Zaltocleotl said:

Ah, thanks for the link to the Steam page.

I tried moving the BapInEx folder to the games library location at E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Cities Skylines II

Started Steam then C:S2 and still no folder inside E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Cities Skylines II\BepInEx except core, patches, plugins.

Of course still no config folder in C:\Users\NAME\AppData\LocalLow\Colossal Order\Cities Skylines II\BepInEx either.

I even removed the -developerMode argument and tried both ways without it. Even ran the game, made a change, saved it, then exited. Nothing. I even started the game by clicking the Cities2.exe in E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Cities Skylines II and nothing added to either BapInEx folder.

Delete everything BepInEx related from the C:\Users\NAME\AppData\LocalLow\Colossal Order\Cities Skylines II\ directory.

Do you still got the BepInEx .zip file? If yes, copy everything into your E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Cities Skylines II\ folder.
Because I think you are missing the some files there:
image.png.bbad34bf46cf2fcc6195b06ab7c399cb.png

This is my current folder but ignore some files, some of them are modding related. Important is winhttp.dll, doorstop_config.ini & .doorstop_version
image.png.63d1bfc3cb0e75089c60d5b54fa21a5c.png

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

You got it.

What I did wrong was to put all the .zip contents into the wrong folder, at  C:\Users\NAME\AppData\LocalLow\Colossal Order\Cities Skylines II.

Then later I copied the folder ONLY into the correct folder at E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Cities Skylines II but I did not also copy the four files along with the folder, forgetting about them.

Now that I have copied the four files to E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Cities Skylines II, the console appears at game start and I have a config folder in E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Cities Skylines II\BepInEx and a BepInEx.cfg file inside that folder.

You may consider adding the info to your instructions on Steam about making sure to put the BepInEx folder and files into the correct folder where the Steam Library is, and where the Cities2.exe is already located. Those who have chosen on Steam install or later to have their Library on another drive will also need to do this instead of into the default Cities2 install folder on C: 

Thank you for finding my stupid error and getting it corrected!

Looking forward to your mods!

P.S. What does BepInEx stand for? something Internal Executable? 

Edited by Zaltocleotl
  • Love 1
  • Care 1

3 minutes ago, citymaker said:

https://pasteboard.co/rDw3XUYPL2oD.png this is how i got the folders. set  up.

I don't think u "installed " BepInEx correctly

The BepInEx files and folder  must be placed inside your C:S2 folder and after that u have to start the game once.
Then you can place the mods inside the plugin folder

Quoting @Siggi :

Do you still got the BepInEx .zip file? If yes, copy everything into your ...\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Cities Skylines II\ folder.
Because I think you are missing the some files there:
image.png.bbad34bf46cf2fcc6195b06ab7c399cb.png

This is my current folder but ignore some files, some of them are modding related. Important is winhttp.dll, doorstop_config.ini & .doorstop_version
image.png.63d1bfc3cb0e75089c60d5b54fa21a5c.png

He apparently also made a guide:

On 11/13/2023 at 5:32 PM, Siggi said:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, citymaker said:

yeah and i tested it with i think both of them verions but nothing has worked so far. i think i keep downloading the wrong version.

Maybe delete everything BepInEx and mod related and move BepInEx in the CS2 folder again.
After that start the game once and quit it. I would also recommend to enable the BepInEx console, so you can actually see where's the problem. The console starts automatically with the game, if it doesnt open then BepInEx is currently the problem I've also mentioned this in my steam guide.
Then copy the mods into the BepInEx/plugins/ folder. Make sure, which versions of BIE and the TLI mod you've actually downloaded.

You also got a recent screenshot on how it's looking?
You can just copy it into your post, no need to upload it on a 3rd party site.